Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for the site

Howdy!

So, Thorn is working on stuff, and both he and I need to know what people prefer in terms of how the site works. We're both stumbling around, learning as we go, so some things may not be possible, or they may not be possible right away.

Anyhow, start your suggesting. If you want to see something, or if something bugs you, then ... by all means. Let us know. :-)

So what I've been thinking is trying to turn the Blogs tab into Stories. There are a few problems with this, however. The first is that the tab names in the blog homepage module are hard coded, which means it will always say 'blog posts' and 'member blogs'; I can't make it say 'chapters' and 'stories'. Another issue is that while blog posts can be tagged, whole blogs cannot. This makes it difficult for readers to find stories once (if?) the archive begins to grow. Thirdly, the profile module is also hard coded, so I can't add a 'blogs' or 'stories' tab to profiles so people can find stories by specific authors easily.

The alternative is using forum topics for stories. This can make it difficult to navigate between chapters (it might be possible to add a table of contents kind of thing to the first post and link to subsequent chapters that way, though this would have to be done manually either by the author themself or by admin, and is a little bit involved), but makes it easier for readers to find stories by specific authors, as there's an option for finding topics started by specific users in the 'about' section of profiles, and topics can be tagged. Individual forums for different genres might be helpful for organising purposes.

Given these two main options, which do you think would work best? Which would you prefer as an author or as a reader, and why?

Comment

First, if there's a way to make it so links leading to chapters don't open a new page, I'd prefer that.

And I think if we can make the forum topics work for stories, that'd be the way to go. I'm sure there will be issues, but we can work on those. Now that you've played around with things, how do you feel about it, Thorn?

By the way ... nice job so far. :-)

Comment

I think this story system will work pretty well. It's not the smoothest in the world, but I don't think it's overly clunky.
        I direct anyone who's interested in how we see this system working to this forum post.

Comment

I'm gonna start adding some writer's resources. I've also set the alternate themes that will be available for non-admin users to choose from, if they don't like this one, and added the feather to all of them. The ones with dark header background had to go for obvious reasons.

Comment

Hey! Look forward to see where this all goes. I don't really have any suggestions at this point, all being in it's infancy and so on. I'm just happy to have a new forum to stalk.

Comment

Originally posted by Daipanda View Post
              Hey! Look forward to see where this all goes. I don't really have any suggestions at this point, all being in it's infancy and so on. I'm just happy to have a new forum to stalk.
              Yay! Welcome! I'm so glad you're here.

Comment

Working...
              X